Monday, April 4, 2011

Science Fiction Story

I do not know how long I have been frozen, but it seems like it has been a long time. I feel like I have forgotten how to walk and I have no idea where I might be. My first steps are wobbly and are shaky because I was frozen for so long. I begin to walk around to see what I can figure out, the building I am in is abandoned. I begin to walk inside, the city is trashed, it seems like Time Square in Manhattan. The streets are littered with burned cars and broken glass. What happened to the city? Is it like this all over the world? What is going on? Where is everyone? These are only some of the many thoughts that were racing through my head faster the speed of light.
            As I walk through the city I begin to realize it seems abandoned and left to rot like the building in Time Square that I walked out of. I yell to see if anyone will yell back or come see if something is wrong, but all I hear is the echo of my voice in the lonely city.  I wander for what seems like forever and the more I walk through the city the more worried I get. Am I the last person on the earth, I wonder to myself? I continue walking, I hear something behind me, I look, and nothing is there. I see a weapons shop, I walk in there because that sound scared me, I grab a few guns, a backpack, and ammunition. Once I gather my courage and calm down I start walking down the street again. I hear more noise behind me and look behind me, but again I see nothing. I start to walk faster and it turns into a jog. I hear things all around me now and my heart is racing at a mile a minute and I have no idea where I am going, and no idea what is going on. All of a sudden my legs just stop moving, my body goes numb, I’m frozen in place, a figure appears in front of me, and it looks like a human. Then something hits the back of my legs and I fall to my knees, then I feel something hit me in the back of the head, and I go black.
When I regained consciousness, when I opened my eyes, I could see a small hole with light coming through it, other than that I was in a small dark room with nothing in it, I began to walk around in the room to see if I could find a door or something that I could use to escape. I found the door, but of course, it was locked and wouldn’t budge no matter how hard I pulled on it. From outside I heard a woman’s voice yell “Stop pulling at the door. You ain’t getting out.”
I yelled back “Who are you and where am I?”
The mysterious voice said “That’s for me to know and you not to worry about.”
“Just give me a name to call you.”
“Call me Tori.”
“Okay Tori, now where am I? And where is everyone else?”
“New York City. The rich people, Mars or the moon, everyone else, here.”
“Well why isn’t anyone outside or walking around on the streets?”
“Scared.”
“Of what?”
Tori went on to explain to me, everyone that is still in the city are always armed with guns and weapons. She tells me that she is the leader of one of the most notorious crews in the city. She tells me how all of the rich people left because people started to make robots so they wouldn’t have to do and work or anything but the robots became, almost independent and stopped following orders from the people that created them and start cause problems. Anyone with money could leave because the rockets that took people to the moon and mars were still controlled by humans. It would cost a small fortune to get on one of these rockets, and if they weren’t filled by people, they wouldn’t take off. It was like an airport, but no matter what you had to plan ahead of time for your flight. Eventually people stopped making plans, and the rockets stopped taking off, everyone that hadn’t left, would never leave. She didn’t tell me how, but she was appointed leader of the Free People, or that’s what they called there crew at least.
            Tori has been hearing rumors from that the robots in other cities are starting to attack people, they are trying to get rid of everyone. She does not believe any of these to be true. Then one day a man from another city came to New York and tells her that he had to flee from his city to New York because the robots were taking over, he told us to expect the same thing to happen. He said almost everyone in the city was killed and that there may be a few more coming to seek refuge with us, but not many at all. I could see in Tori’s eyes she was scared when she heard this, she didn’t show it to anyone else, she couldn’t. Then they would be scared. She and I had become very close in the recent months. She told me how scared she was and she told me how she didn’t think any of us would survive, but she couldn’t let anyone else know that or they wouldn’t try. So I kept her secret, but didn’t give up hope.
            So Tori decides the best thing to do was get everyone that has weapons, which was most people together to at  least try to slow the robots down. She managed to get quite a few people, I was very surprised at how many actually showed up. We all met in a banquet room, I don't exactly remember where, but we filled it, and more. Some of the electronic smart people managed to get speakers set up for Tori.
I will always remember what she said, "The times are tough, but we are tougher. We will not go down without a fight!"
Everyone shouted, "YEAH!"
It was a scene straight out of an old war movie.
She went on, "I will not let them beat us while I'm alive!"
Everyone agreed, "YEAH!"
"You are all are brothers and sisters and I would die for you!"
Everyone started to clap.
She goes on saying, "Are we scared?!"
"NO!"
"We made them, so let's destroy them!"
"YEAH!" everyone exclaims.
We wait in days  of anticipation, but nothing happens, we see no robots. We begin to wander if that man was lying. We didn't know him, No one did, We begin to question him, he swears to us that he is telling the truth.
So Tori decides the best thing to do was get everyone that has weapons, which was most people together to at least try to slow the robots down, she managed to get quite a few people. I was very surprised at how many actually showed up. We all met in a banquet room, I don't exactly remember where, but we filled it, and more. Some of the electronic smart people managed to get speakers set up for Tori.
I will always remember what she said, "The times are tough, but we are tougher. We will not go down without a fight!"
Everyone shouted, "Yeah!"
It was a scene straight out of an old war movie.
She went on, "I will not let them beat us while I'm alive!"
Everyone agreed, "Yeah!"
"You are all are brothers and sisters and I would die for you!"
Everyone started to clap.
She goes on saying, "Are we scared?!"
"No!"
"We made them, so let's destroy them!"
"Yeah!" everyone exclaims.
We wait in days of anticipation, but nothing happens, we see no robots. We begin to wander if that man was lying. We didn't know him, no one did. We begin to question him; he swears to us that he is telling the truth. After a week of waiting, we saw shadows in the distance and we heard robot noises, the time had come. Everyone started to get nervous, no one could stay still. We had more people than them, there were only around 400 and we had upwards of 2000, it shouldn’t be a problem I thought. They are stronger and much bigger than us though and our bullets were not going to do a lot of them. I told Tori this and she agreed with me, she said we would have to get close to them and go directly to their circuit breakers.
They were only about a football field away now; everyone shouldered their guns and got ready to fight the robot army. Tori was waiting to give us the signal and made sure everyone aimed at the head because she knew that that’s where all the important computer components were. She waited until the robots stopped before she yelled “Fire!”
As soon as she did this a thunder of gunshots rang through the city. I was almost deafened by the sound. Some of the robots fell and got destroyed, but it didn’t even put a dent in the entire army of them. We only got about 25 of them, and they did not stop, not even flinch for a second. I thought to myself that this is going to be a long, hard, and intense fight. Some of the military and police robots started to shoot at us; we totally forgot to take account for them. Tori yelled, “Shoot the robots with guns first!”
Everyone began to direct their fire toward those robots, we found out they were built with stronger metal than the others because it took us twice as long to make them fall. As the battle went on more people were dying, even when the robots were close to us. They were too strong for us, we were losing people like rain hits the ground during a thunderstorm. I told Tori we had to get out of the city and try to save our lives, she refused and told me over and over again, “All these people died trying to save my life and everyone else’s life, I will not just run away and let them die in vain. If you want to leave, go ahead, but I want you to stay here and fight with me, you are my best friend and I would not want to die with anyone else.”
I had to stay. I couldn’t bring myself to leave after she told me that, I faced the fact I was probably going to die, it was my reality. All of a sudden I wasn’t scared; I was honored to be fight next to such and amazing woman and all of these amazing people. Hour after hour the battle dragged on, the only people that were left were the strongest, most experienced fighters, and me. I couldn’t understand why I was still there, I mean I was just frozen for 100 years and had no idea what was going on and had only played with toy guns as a little kid.  As soon as all of the people started to lose faith in them, and everyone else around, we saw people coming toward us in the distance, they were actually people. How did they know we were in trouble? Who are they? They started shooting at the robots and we all got excited and faith was returned to us.
With our new found help, the battle didn’t last very much longer. It was only about two hours. After the fight we went over to who looked like the leader of our help and asked him why he came and how he knew we were going to be in trouble. He told us how all of his men were stationed on a military base and the robots started to attack them awhile back. Then he went on to say that one of the military veterans in New York managed to sneak out of the city and wanted to warn his fellow soldiers about what was going to happen. When he got there, he noticed it already happened and told them it was going to happen in New York. So, the first thing the next day they started marching to the city to help. We were so grateful to them and all of the survivors joined forces and went marching city to city, to make sure all the cities were okay and wouldn’t be attacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment